- Diabetes Research
- Glucose Meters
- Adult Onset Diabetes
- Diabetes and Exercise
- Diabetes and Insurance
- Diabetes and Sex
- Diabetes Care
- Diabetes Control
- Diabetes Cure
- Diabetes Prevention
- Diabetes Technology
- Insulin Resistance
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Type 3 Diabetes
- Battle Diabetes
Since one of the most important tools in battling diabetes is the glucose meter, there are many different versions on the market. Pretty much any model that you choose is going to be accurate and provide fairly consistent results. When it comes to choosing glucose meters it will really depend on what type of features you think you will need.
Which Glucose Meters are Best?
If you are like me, you’ll want one fully loaded with options. Not because I necessarily need all the options, but I want them. There are some things that you may want to consider if you are in the market for a new glucose meter.
- Do the glucose meters require test strips or a control solution that you need to use when checking for accuracy?
- Do you need Glucose Meters to be small enough to fit inside a purse or briefcase?
- What does cleaning Glucose Meters entail?
- Do you need glucose meters that allows you to do a AC1 check at home? Some don’t have that feature.
- Would you prefer Glucose Meters that use test strips or do you find that cartridges are easier?
- The smaller the amount of blood glucose meters require the better so you definitely want to know what size blood sample the meter requires to take an accurate reading.
- The price is a huge factor when choosing a meter. If you are the kind of person that misplaces or has a tendency to break glucose meters and possibly will have to replace it then a meter on the cheaper side would be better for you.
- The test strips or cartridges definitely should be factored into the cost. You may get the cheapest meter available just to find out that the strips that it requires are the most expensive on the market.
- Is any of the cost for Glucose Meters or the test supplies covered by your health insurance? If so, go out and get the most expensive Meter that your heart desires.
- Are you kind of a computer geek and want to be able to download your results to your computer? This is a very good way to track your levels.
- Are you tired of having your fingers pricked? You may want to check out the Glucose Meters that use alternative site testing.
- Do you ever need to check your levels in the middle of the night? If so you could get a Glucose Meter that glows in the dark.
- Are you already carrying way to many gadgets on your person and would love to streamline? Now available is a Glucose Meter and Personal Digital Assistant in one. Pretty cool huh?
As you can see, here are many things to consider before running out and getting a new glucose meter. Like I said, I opt for all the bells and whistles on mine because I am a nerd and need to have the latest and greatest.
The information provided on battlediabetes.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her health professional. This information is solely for informational and educational purposes. The publication of this information does not constitute the practice of medicine, and this information does not replace the advice of your physician or other health care provider. Neither the owners or employees of battlediabetes.com nor the author(s) of site content take responsibility for any possible consequences from any treatment, procedure, exercise, dietary modification, action or application of medication which results from reading this site. Always speak with your primary health care provider before engaging in any form of self treatment. Please see our Legal Statement for further information.